Fresh Strawberry Tart
- 1½ cups finely crumbled short bread cookies
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
For Tart Filling:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup and 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 ½ to 2 pounds strawberries, hulled and halved
- ¼ cup apricot jam or powdered sugar for decorating
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)
In a medium-sized bowl, combine the cookie crumbs, butter and powdered sugar. Mix until blended and then, using a tart pan or 9-inch pie plate, gently press into pan to form crust.
Bake in the preheated oven for 7 minutes. Cool completely before adding tart filling.
While the crust is baking, in another bowl, whip the cream cheese, vanilla extract and powdered sugar together. When the crust is cooled, pour into baked pie crust.
Allow to chill in the refrigerator while you hull and slice strawberries. Cut the berries in even, but thick slices. Starting from the outside, edge arranged berry halves in a tight pattern on top of tart filling.
In a saucepan, gently heat apricot jam on low until it is liquefied. Using a pastry brush, carefully brush the strawberries with the jam for a glossy glaze.
Refrigerate tart for at least 2 hours or up to 6 hours before serving. If you using a tart pan we recommend leaving the tart in the pan until just before serving.
You can skip the jam and dust with powered sugar right before serving.